Our Computer Forensic Experts are able to conduct an investigation of data present on a computer hard drive or a memory card for any data present, including documents, images, emails, messages, Internet browsing activity, often even after they have been deleted.
A digital forensic examination and investigation is the preservation, interpretation and documentation of digital based evidence to determine what happened on that device, when, how and, if possible, the identity of the user responsible whilst causing no alteration to the data present.
The information gathered during a digital investigation is often not available to the average user and may include material such as deleted files and fragments of data and require specialist tools to recover, obtain and investigate it from a device to confirm an incident.
Essentially, the digital forensics process involves obtaining evidence through investigation that can be used to either prove or disprove a crime or breach of policy.
Our computer forensics team are renowned within the industry for their comprehensive investigation and clear reports coupled with robust expert witness testimony and have many years of experience in the examination of digital evidence within criminal, family care and corporate cases and investigations for private and legally aided clients.
Examples of Previous Cases
Our digital expert team are most frequently involved in the investigation of computer and mobile phone cases involving:
- Indecent and Extreme Images
- Family Care Proceedings
- Data Theft
- Intellectual Property Theft
- Drug Offences
- Grooming Offences
- Internet Misuse in the Workplace
The notable computer and mobile phone investigations that our team have been instructed in are:
- R – v – KL – Terrorism Offences, investigated by the North West Counter Terrorism Unit and acquitted on majority of the computer related charges after a 4 week trial.
- Operation Duma – £125 million Multi Handed VAT Carousel Fraud, investigated by Revenue Customs Prosecution Office.
- Instructed on behalf of a Premiership Football Club – Employment Tribunal Proceedings.
- Operation Pallial – Historic Child Sexual Offences, investigated by National Crime Agency.
- Operation Lakeland – Paedophile Ring investigated by Devon & Cornwall Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Director of a Supermarket Supplier.
- Operation Carbon – Largest Firearms Investigation, investigated by Greater Manchester Police.
- Operation Ore – Indecent Images, International operation investigated by Thames Valley Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Managing Director of a National Chain of Health Clubs and Hotels that led to dismissal and Criminal Investigation.
- Operation Murray – Murder, investigated by Surrey Police.
- Operation Sequin – DDoS attack on Home Office website, investigated by West Midlands Cyber Crime Regional Unit.
Further examples of previous digital examinations that we have been instructed are available on our previous investigation page.
After the expert report prepared by Athena Forensics was served on the Crown Prosecution they offered no evidence in relation to the matter and the case was discontinued.
Bournemouth Based Solicitor.
read more ()