Matthew Jackson BSc (Hons) MCSFS MEWI MBCS EnCE
Computer and Mobile Phone Expert Witness
Matthew Jackson is the Director and Senior Forensic Consultant of Athena Forensics. He has been involved in the investigation of computer and mobile phone evidence for over 17 years during which time he has conducted over 1,000 computer and mobile phone investigations including as a joint expert within civil and family proceedings and by the Defence within criminal cases involving indecent images of children, serious fraud, terrorism and murder. Matthew has frequently attended court for those cases as an expert witness as and when required.
Prior to this Matthew was a Director and Senior Forensic Consultant for another digital forensic specialist company for 4 years, during this time he dealt with approximately 220 cases involving computer based evidence.
He is a Professional Member of the Chartered Institute for Forensic Science, a member of the British Computer Society, The International Association of Computer Investigative Specialists and registered with the Law Society as a validated expert witness. He also appears as an expert in the Expert Witness ~ Expert Consultant Directory, he is a vetted member of the UK Register of Expert Witnesses and a full member of the Expert Witness Institute.
Matthew was previously a member of the Industrial Liaison Committee, he has also been a member of the Information Operations Research Group and a Visiting Lecturer on the Computer Forensics BSc Degree course for the Department of Computing at the University of Wales. Matthew has written published articles on computer forensics for legal and technical journals.
Between 2001 and 2004 he was employed by Thames Valley Police as a Computer Forensic Technician at the Hi-Tech Crime Unit, during this time he provided technical support for their Operation Ore investigation, processing nearly 300 legal cases, and he has worked on Fraud (HM Customs and Excise), Drug (The National Criminal Intelligence Service) and Murder inquiries (The National Crime Squad). Matthew received a Chief Constable’s Commendation for his work at Thames Valley Police.
Matthew holds the degree of Bachelor of Science awarded by the BCUC, Buckinghamshire, the EnCase Certified Computer Examiners (EnCE) Qualification and has also completed the Computer Forensic Foundation Course at the Royal Military College, Shrivenham, the Intermediate and Advanced EnCase courses at Guidance Software, Liverpool as well as the Institute for Communications Arbitrations and Forensics mobile telephone examination and extended mobile telephone courses.
Matthew Jackson is now considered by many to be the UK’s leading computer and mobile phone forensics expert witnesses.
- Operation Duma – Multi Handed VAT Carousel Fraud, investigated by HMRC.
- Regularly Jointly Instructed within Family Care Proceedings for the Examination of Mobile Phones and Computers to Identify Communication Activity and the Provenance of Images.
- Instructed on behalf of a Premiership Football Club – Employment Tribunal Proceedings.
- Operation Pallial – Historic Child Sexual Offences, investigated by National Crime Agency.
- R – v – KL – Terrorist Offences, investigated by the North West Counter Terrorism Unit.
- Operation Lakeland – Paedophile Ring investigated by Devon & Cornwall Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Director of a Supermarket Supplier.
- Operation Carbon – Largest Firearms Investigation, investigated by Greater Manchester Police.
- Operation Ore – Indecent Images, International operation investigated by Thames Valley Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Managing Director of a National Chain of Health Clubs and Hotels that led to dismissal and Criminal Investigation.
- R – v – CW – Anonymous DDoS attack of Visa, Mastercard & Paypal.
- HMRC Investigation – Acquittal of a Company Director Following Allegations of VAT Fraud.